The foregoing forms of discrimination are prohibited by the comprehensive New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD). Additional laws enacted at both the state and federal levels may afford added protections, depending on factors like how many employees work for the employer, and whether the employer is public or private. In addition to LAD, other anti-discrimination laws that may impact your case include:
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
- Civil Rights Act of 1991 (CRA)
- Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA)
- New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA)
- New Jersey Family Leave Act (NJFLA)
- Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Title I and Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA)
- Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA)
North Jersey Employment Discrimination Attorneys for Employees
Employment discrimination can have dire financial consequences, not only for the victims who are directly impacted, but also any dependents or loved ones whom they are trying to support. Multiple generations of an entire family can be plunged into financial hardship when a skilled employee, or well-qualified job applicant, is unfairly denied opportunities, compensation, or job benefits on the basis of his or her skin color, religious beliefs, sexual preference, country of origin, or other personal traits.
If you suspect that bias, rather than actual performance or ability, was the reason you were fired, demoted, looked over, underpaid, or otherwise affected detrimentally, a New Jersey workplace discrimination lawyer can work with you to identify an efficient and strategic course of legal action. Depending on the circumstances, you may have a claim under the Civil Rights Act, the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, or other laws against employment discrimination. To arrange a free consultation concerning a workplace discrimination claim in New Jersey, contact the Law Offices of Usmaan Sleemi at (973) 453-4060.