- New Jersey Sexual Harassment Lawyer
- New Jersey Retaliation Lawyer
- New Jersey Family and Medical Leave Lawyer
- New Jersey Hostile Work Environment Lawyer
- New Jersey Equal Pay Lawyer
- New Jersey Employment Discrimination Lawyer
- New Jersey Unpaid Overtime or Wages Lawyer
- New Jersey Severance and Separation Lawyer
- New Jersey Whistleblower Retaliation Lawyer
- New Jersey Wrongful Termination Lawyer
- New Jersey Contract Review and Negotiation Attorney
In New Jersey, there are both federal and state employment laws that protect employees. Employees who feel they have been treated unfairly at work or were wrongfully terminated by their company have the right to fight back. Also, employees aren’t the only ones who may need the services of a Bergenfield Employment Law Attorney.
Not only can an employment law attorney help employees understand what legal remedies are available to them when they have been wronged by an employer, but we can also assist employers to ensure their policies and procedures are in line with applicable federal and state laws. This can help reduce potential litigation and foster a better work environment for employees.
At the Law Offices of Usmaan Sleemi, our attorneys are experienced in helping both employees and employers with all of their employment law needs. If an employee’s rights were violated, we can assist with getting them the compensation they deserve. We can also defend the employer who is being sued by a former employee who claims their rights were violated. No matter if you are an employee or employer with a pressing employment law issue, contact our office and learn about the various ways we can assist.
EMPLOYMENT LAW CASES WE COMMONLY HANDLE
Our Bergenfield employment lawyers routinely handle a number of different types of cases, including these common issues:
- Wrongful termination
- Employment contracts and negotiations
- FMLA claims
- Sexual harassment
- Whistleblower protection
- Unequal pay
- Leaves of absence
- Hostile work environment
- Overtime and wage violation claims
- Retaliation claims
NEW JERSEY EMPLOYMENT LAWS
Because there are both federal and state employment laws at play, it can be confusing to some people to figure out where an employment law claim should be filed. Different laws can apply to the same situation, and the filing locations will vary. Many states, including New Jersey, have their own laws that will provide additional protections above and beyond what the federal laws provide. One example is the express protections New Jersey has that prohibit employers from discriminating against an employee based on sexual orientation. State laws in New Jersey will apply no matter how many employees a business has, while federal laws may only apply when the business employs over a certain number of people.
Any claims for employment violations that relate specifically to New Jersey laws have to be filed with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights (DCR), while federal employment law claims are filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Some federal laws that govern employment law matters include, but are not limited to:
- Age Discrimination Act (ADEA)
- Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Equal Pay Act of 1963
Some local New Jersey employment laws are:
- New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD)
- Conscientious Employment Protection Act (CEPA)
- New Jersey Equal Pay Act (NJEPA)
RETAINING A BERGENFIELD EMPLOYMENT LAW ATTORNEY
Because employment law claims can be complex, it’s important to speak with a knowledgeable Bergenfield employment law attorney who can explain what laws apply in your particular situation. Contact the Law Offices of Usmaan Sleemi today at 973-453-4060 to learn more about how we can assist.
Law Office of Usmaan Sleemi
New Jersey Office:
90 E Halsey Rd,
Parsippany, New Jersey 07054