- New Jersey Sexual Harassment Lawyer
- New Jersey Retaliation Lawyer
- New Jersey Family and Medical Leave Lawyer
- New Jersey Hostile Work Environment Lawyer
- New Jersey Equal Pay Lawyer
- New Jersey Employment Discrimination Lawyer
- New Jersey Unpaid Overtime or Wages Lawyer
- New Jersey Severance and Separation Lawyer
- New Jersey Whistleblower Retaliation Lawyer
- New Jersey Wrongful Termination Lawyer
- New Jersey Contract Review and Negotiation Attorney
HACKENSACK EMPLOYMENT LAW ATTORNEY ADVOCATES FOR YOU
Employment law issues can come in a variety of different forms, including hostile work environments, wrongful termination, and retaliation for whistleblowing. Employers need to ensure their policies and procedures are in line with all applicable laws, which can reduce their risk of facing future litigation. Employees who have been unfairly treated under these laws have the right to bring a claim for compensation and benefits owed against their employer. These situations are where a Hackensack, New Jersey employment law attorney can help.
At the Law Offices of Usmaan Sleemi, our attorneys assist both employees and employers with legal matters that arise in the workplace. We can help employees recover compensation after their rights have been violated, and we can also provide advice to employers who are facing employment-related litigation or need assistance to ensure their policies and procedures adhere to all applicable laws. Contact our office to learn more about our services and how we can assist you.
Common Types of Employment Law Cases
There are a number of legal issues that fall under employment law litigation. Some of the more common cases involve:
- Workplace Discrimination: Also known as employment discrimination, this is when an employer engages in an unlawful bias against a prospective or current employee.
- Hostile Work Environment: Employees have a right to work in an environment that allows them to perform their employment duties without experiencing intimidation, discrimination, abuse, bullying, or other harassment. An employee who cannot perform their job due to these conditions may have grounds to file a hostile work environment claim.
- Wrongful Termination: New Jersey is an “at-will employment” state, which means an employer can typically terminate an employee at any time they want, but they cannot violate any federal or state laws in doing so. If an employer terminates an employee due to their membership in a protected class or because they engaged in actions that are protected, the termination could be deemed wrongful termination.
- Equal Pay for Equal Work: The New Jersey Equal Pay Act (NJEPA) creates additional protection under state law for employees. It requires employers to pay female employees the same amount as male employees who perform the same jobs and contribute the same level of professional expertise.
- Unpaid Wages or Overtime: Wage disputes are common employment law claims. A standard workweek is defined as 40 hours of work. Any work beyond that typically entitles an employee to receive overtime pay, unless they are exempt or classified under the allowed salaried positions. Some employers, unfortunately, fail to pay employees for overtime, violating both state and federal laws. Misclassifying an employee to keep from paying overtime is also covered under this section.
SPEAK WITH A HACKENSACK EMPLOYMENT LAW ATTORNEY
If you have questions about applicable employment laws in New Jersey, speaking with a Hackensack employment law attorney can help. No matter whether you are an employee who was wrongfully terminated or an employer who received a claim for workplace discrimination, let the Law Offices of Usmaan Sleemi help. Contact us at 973-453-4060 to schedule a consultation.
Law Office of Usmaan Sleemi
New Jersey Office:
90 E Halsey Rd,
Parsippany, New Jersey 07054